Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lentil Barley soup

It is nothing short of a Christmas miracle when I find a recipe that is healthy, easy, inexpensive *and* tastes delicious to all 4 members of the Wyatt clan... and yet I've done it... again.
My beautiful and most patient audience, I bring to you... (drum roll) Lentil Barley Soup!!

1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS butter
1 can (49 oz) veggie broth
3 carrots, chopped
1/2 cup dried lentils
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup fake chicken (or any fake meat)
1/2 cup quick cooking barley
2 mushrooms, chopped
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes

In large pot, saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in butter until tender. Add broth, carrots, lentils, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add fake meat, barley and mushrooms; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add tomatoes; heat through. Enjoy!

You're welcome.

5 comments:

  1. FINALLY!!! I can't wait to try out this soup when I get home. In two weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you make it on Monday? OR Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... I'm actually making it on Sunday. I have to or otherwise the ing.'s will go bad! Maybe there will be a bowl of leftovers for ya....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!! The leftovers were wonderful!! I'm definitley making this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete